Cappella Sant’Andrea, named after St Andrea’s Chapel, is a delightful estate within sight of the famous medieval towers of San Gimignano. There are only six hectares of vines but they are part of a larger working farm that has olive trees, donkeys, goats, chickens and even a few rabbits.
It’s run by a young couple, Flavia del Seta and her winemaker husband, Francesco. Flavia’s mother, Antonella, inherited the property from her father Giovanni Leoncini and uncle Renato who bought it in 1959. The vines, all planted on sandy and clay hillsides, are in conversion to organic viticulture. A characterful reception area is stuffed with old farming artefacts that form a marked contrast to modern winemaking facilities, complete with stainless steel tanks to retain maximum freshness in the Vernaccia di San Gimignano.