In the mid-19th century a 40 hectare vineyard, named Duhart-Milon, emerged following an expansion of grape growing in Pauillac during the preceding century. Duhart-Milon was ranked 4th growth in the 1855 classification under the auspices of the Castéja family.
By the early 20th century the 50ha estate was one of the largest in Pauillac. It was sold in 1937 and went through the hands of 5 owners in the next 25 years until it was final purchased by the neighbouring Rothschild family of Château Lafite, who set about much improving the vineyards. Due to its location just to the west of Lafite, today, the two châteaux are run by the same team headed up by technical director Charles Chevallier, aided by winemaker Christophe Congé, and vineyard manager Régis Porfilet.