In 1798 Bruno da Silva set up a company in London to import Portuguese wines. In 1862 his son John bought into a partnership with Frederick Cosens.
Fifteen years later Silva & Cosens merged with the smaller Dow & Co, adopting the name of Dow due to its high reputation in the Port trade. They built up considerable holdings in the Douro including Quinta do Bomfim. The Symingtons had a stake in the company early in the twentieth century and became sole owners in 1961. In style the wines are drier than most, very tannic, but with pronounced fleshy fruit. Given 15 to 30 years aging the Vintage wines show great complexity. As at the other Symington properties Peter Symington has introduced robotic lagares.