This ancient property is situated in Reguengos de Monsaraz in the Alentejo region of Southern Portugal. It can trace its winemaking roots back to the Bronze Age. During the Roman occupation its wines were exported throughout the empire. The current boundaries of the property were established in 1267.
In the heart of the property is the Tower of Esporão built between 1457 and 1490, though only recently restored. Today the wine making at this property is under the auspices of Australian born David Baverstock, which lends a more international style to the wines. The estate is proud of its biodiversity and already part of the property is being farmed organically.