Producer: Schloss Gobelsburg
The history here goes back to 1171 when the monks of Zwettl monastery were granted vineyards in the Kamptal. The history of Gobelsburg as a fortification dates from the 11th century, the present building dates from 1725.
View All Lines From This Producer >
After a fire at their previous winery the monks transferred to Gobelsburg in 1786 and ran the estate until 1996 when Michael Moosbrugger was installed as manager with help from Willi Bründlmayer. There are now 40 hectares of vineyards around the Schloss, planted mainly with Grüner Veltliner (50%) and Riesling (25%), according to the most suitable terroir in this geologically complex area. Viticulture is as natural as possible with no pesticides and only natural fertilisers used, just as the monks had done for many years. Winemaking is in the ancient cellars under the castle, mostly in large, old wooden vats made from local oak, and sees minimal intervention.