The history of Kopke dates back to 1638 making it the oldest port house. It was founded by German Nicolau Kopkë who left Hamburg in 1636 and settled in Portugal as Consul General of the Hanseatic League.
View All Lines From This Producer >
Initially set up as a wine buying company, the company would transition to producer when it purchased a farm and its first Douro vineyards in 1781. Cristiano Nicolau Kopkë, great-great-grandson of Nicolau Kopkë, sided with the Liberal Party in 1828 during Portugal’s civil war (1828 to 1834), and his dedication to social progression was rewarded in 1836 when he received the title Baron of Vilar, and later in 1846 his nephew Joaquim Augusto Kopke the title Baron of Massarelos. In 1841 the company changed its name to C N Kopke. Over time port production became its main focus and other property purchases were added to their portfolio, which notably included Quinta de S. Luiz in 1922, a property that now forms the base of their current blends. Kopke is recognised as a leader in the production of tawny style wines, both as a colheita ports (old tawnies from a single year) and tawnies with an age statement. Today it is part of the Sogevinus group which also includes Cálem, Barros and Burmester and is the fifth largest port producer.