Tanners Timeline 1978-2010
Tanners Hereford Branch Opens
In 1978 Tanners acquired the Hereford wine merchants, William Pulling & Co, together with their bonded warehouse and the old Hereford Distillery. This is now the site of our Hereford branch.
Tanners Trade Mark
The Tanners trade mark is the ship's decanter seen here. Royal Brierley used to make them for us and we sold them. However the man who originally blew them by hand with great skill passed away and the ones made afterwards were never as fine.
Charles Dicken's 'A Christmas Carol'
Mr Fezziwig's party scene from the 1984 film version of A Christmas Carol was filmed at 26 Wyle Cop in Shrewsbury during the Spring of 1984. Even today the Shrewsbury Tourist Office runs guided tours of the film locations in the run up to Christmas including a tour of Tanners.
Clive Tanner Room Opens for Tastings
The Clive Tanner Room dates from about 1475 and was once part of the Unicorn Hotel which shut post 1971, although this room was split from the hotel some time around the 1920's. Following extensive renovations the room reopened in 1985 and is now our principal room for entertaining. It is widely used for tastings, lunches, dinners, staff training and meetings. Many illustrious speakers have been invited to guide tastings in this room.
Shrewsbury Cellars Shop Opens
Originally the Shrewsbury Cellars Shop was referred to as the Shrewsbury Wine Market.
Sir Yehudi Menuhin
Tanners sponsored Sir Yehudi Menuhin's sell-out concert at Shrewsbury School in 1987. Tanners foreman, Alf Horton, who's still with the company today, had the pleasure of serving Sir Yehudi with a celebratory glass of Champagne after his brilliant performance.
Tanners Bridgnorth Branch Opens
Formally Thos. Whitefoot & Sons, this branch is long and deep, it is perhaps our most attractive shop and has extensive cellars below.
The Bunch established
The Bunch is a group of Britain’s best independent wine merchants which champions the causes of both the independent wine trade and individual, grower-made wines. It was established in 1993 at the instigation of wine merchant, Graham Chidgey. Today's members of The Bunch are Yapp Brothers, Tanners, Corney & Barrow, Lea & Sandeman, Berry Bros. & Rudd and Adnams. The Bunch have written their own Code of Practice, that sets industry standards for customer satisfaction and for the security of customers' paid reserves, whether shipped or lying abroad.
The Queen visits Hereford
Wine & Spirit Trust Accreditation
Visiting The Field stand that had been sponsored by Tanners in July 2001.
A new distribution depot
In 2001 Tanners opened a new distribution depot at Welshpool, leaving the Old Brewery in Brook Street, Welshpool after almost 90 years. Transport and warehouse operations were moved out of Shrewsbury, thereby allowing us to refurbish our historic premises on Wyle Cop, Shrewsbury, and to extend the Cellars Shop and offices.
Tanners Llandudno branch opens
The latest major development has been the purchase of Terry Platt Wine Merchants in Llandudno, North Wales, which initially was being run as a stand-alone business, servicing customers in the region and particularly focussing on the existing trade business. 2012 saw Terry Platt being rebranded as Tanners fifth branch.
2008 saw Tanners win a clutch of national awards at the International Wine Challenge. We were named Large Independent Merchant of the Year, Direct Wine Merchant of the Year and Central Regional Merchant of the Year.
Tanners first foray into Twitter!
Michael Winner's Dining Stars
We were fortunate to do well at both the Decanter World Wine Awards and the International Wine Challenge in 2009. We were named Independent Merchant of the Year at the Decanter World Wine Awards as well as Central Regional Merchant of the Year and Austrian & German Specialists at the International Wine Challenge.
The Tanners Blog launch