Probably the best known of all Port houses, the firm known today as Taylor’s was founded by Job Bearsley who was a general trader. The famous Taylor’s 4XX logo is in actual fact a wool mark! It was Job’s son Peter who moved the company to Oporto in 1709 and they were the first English family to purchase property in the Douro in 1744.
View All Lines From This Producer >
In 1816 Joseph Taylor joined the firm and it was soon trading under his name, 1836 saw the arrival of John Fladgate and Morgan Yeatman. Descendants of these three families have run the firm ever since, and it remains independent. David Guimaraens is the wine-maker here, producing ‘first growth’ Vintage Port. Taylor’s were the first to plant single variety vineyards at Quinta de Vargellas.