Restaurants, Hotels & On-Trade
You might be surprised to know that approximately half of Tanners’ sales are to quality-minded hotels and restaurants.
Tanners is a major supplier to hotels, restaurants, public houses and bars, catering companies and clubs and are keen to discuss your requirements for any licensed premises. Tanners Trade Team is here to help and can supply you with all your drinks requirements, from creating you a bespoke wine list of the finest flavours and organising a well-stocked spirit bar, to supplying draught beers, ciders, minerals and waters to customers located within our own transport delivery area.
Below are some of the reasons why so many trade customers have chosen us as their supplier and if you like what you see, please do get in touch:
Careful selection of wines from quality driven producers and suppliers is of paramount importance at Tanners. We pride ourselves on the breadth of our range and by building relationships with growers through visiting on a regular basis, we can boast confidence about the quality, individuality and continuity throughout our list. Going direct to producers and cutting out layers of middlemen also enables us to offer extremely competitive prices. If you want a unique and quality driven wine list, produced with passion and a thorough knowledge of the market, we need to speak.
En Primeur or Lying Abroad Wines
Some of our trade customers choose to buy wines whilst they are still lying abroad. This can be an excellent way of buying wines at the best price possible, provided you’re prepared to wait for them to be shipped.
Our Oddments List, which contains small parcels of interesting wines, ports and spirits can be sent on request. This is an excellent source of fine wine for the top end of your list that will help to really set you apart from your competition.
Looking after customers is foremost among Tanners’ priorities. Stephen Lloyd, Free Trade Sales Director; Adrian Patterson, Trade Sales Director and their team of fourteen Area Sales Managers are out visiting customers all the time.
When you choose Tanners as your supplier, you are assigned a personal account manager who will arrange regular visits and plenty of support in order to promote growth in your sales.
Immense importance is placed on ‘the team’ working together at Tanners to ensure everything runs smoothly and on occasion, you will even find a member of the buying team coming to visit you along with your Area Sales Manager.
Whether over the telephone, or when we visit in person, it is crucial for us to give you friendly, down-to-earth advice at whatever level you require.
We recruit people who already have an interest in wine, food and travel and then put them through our own training course as well as their Wine & Spirit Education Trust examinations.
At a company the size of Tanners, it is easy for staff to taste regularly, to have regular contact with the buying team and to travel to the vineyards on whatever trips are available. And if your questions cannot be answered immediately, our many long-serving staff provide a vast bank of wisdom to draw upon.
Our Area Sales Managers are used to assisting in organising food and wine events for customers, even helping presenting the wines where possible.
You will also find an excellent support team in Shrewsbury, Welshpool and Llandudno who are at the end of the phone when you need to place an order or have a wine-related query.
For first points of contact please telephone our:
- Shrewsbury team on 01743 234400 and ask for Peter Weston, Dawn Williams, Rachel Crumpton, Duncan Smith or Aiden Schwarzer
- Welshpool team on 01938 552542 and ask for Amanda Proctor or Jenny Jones
- Llandudno team on 01492 874099 and ask for Richard Stevens
Your Restaurant Wine List
Our Area Sales Managers are well qualified to advise on and manage your wine list for you.
We offer a bespoke design and print service for your wine list, including the provision of covers where required, if you are buying your wines from us.
Descriptions on every wine that we sell are also naturally available, should you wish to prepare your own lists.
Training your staff
This is an area where we feel our input can have a dramatic effect on your sales, and consequently we welcome the opportunity to help familiarise your staff with any of our wines chosen for your list. Regular staff training is hugely effective in helping to sell right across your wine list.
We hold our major trade tastings in our Wyle Cops Cellars in Shrewsbury every March. A good number of our overseas suppliers attend to present their wines.
We also try to hold at least one other tasting elsewhere in the region for customers from further afield.
Obviously, these tastings are free to attend and we send out invites in advance so that you can book them into your diary.
Tanners Trade Offers
We are sometimes asked how we can compete on price. The answer is several fold:
- Firstly we are rigorous in going direct to the producer and cutting out layers of middlemen. In this vein we have always maintained that wine is an agricultural product and has no need of big cities.
- Secondly Tanners is large enough to ship wine from just about anywhere in the world, in complete container quantities if necessary. We save further costs by shipping to our own bonded warehouse at Welshpool in Mid-Wales.
- Thirdly Tanners is a member of a buying consortium through our part ownership of the Merchant Vintners Company. This 22-strong association of independent wine merchants was founded in 1965 and now has a combined annual turnover of over £400 million.
- Most importantly for you, we are continuously negotiating with wine producers, distillers and breweries for special deals for our trade customers. These are presented on a regular basis in the form of offer sheets. Please ask your Area Sales Manager for copies. The bi-monthly Cask Files offers an excellent and continually changing range of guest beers, whilst the Wine Quarterly features new wines and producers.
Corporate Customer Services
For corporate events, gifts and incentives, we offer a bespoke service.
Wines and Spirits
- In Shrewsbury, Welshpool and Llandudno there is a twice-weekly delivery service.
- Elsewhere in our regional delivery area there is a weekly service.
- Deliveries further afield are sent on our carrier service, normally delivered next day.
- For the Offshore Islands & Northern Ireland we try to pass on the best rates possible for non-mainland UK, please ask for current details. Please allow at least eight working days for delivery to these areas.
Beers and Minerals
Draught beers, ciders, minerals, waters and any returns are only available on local deliveries via our own transport.